3 lbs Heirloom Tomatoes
1 ea Diced Red Onion
3 oz Olive Oil
1 tblspn Chopped Garlic
5 pieces ”Baker’s” Smoked Bacon
1 tblspn Chopped Fresh Thyme Leaves
1 pint Red Wine
2 tblspn La Bodega Sherry Vinegar
3 slices Rye Bread
1/3 lb Taylor Farm’s Chopped Iceberg, Romaine, & Spring Mix Lettuce
To order Sea Salt & Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
For the Soup Base:
- In a medium saucepot, cook the onions, garlic, thyme, and four slices of the bacon in 1oz. of olive oil. Cook slowly over low heat and season with a little sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper trying not to achieve any browning to the onions.
- When the onions are translucent, add the sherry vinegar and let cook for approximately two minutes longer.
- Next add ¾ of the tomatoes to the pot and let them stew for about 15 minutes; at this point, add a little pinch of salt
- Then you want to add the wine to the tomatoes and reduce by 1/3.
- Pass the soup base through a food mill and then through a china cap to remove any skins and seeds
For the Garnish:
- Dice the bread and toss in 1 oz. of the olive oil and toast in a 325-degree oven until golden brown and set aside.
- Next, julienne the remaining slices of bacon and sauté over medium heat until crispy and set aside.
- For the final plating, ladle the hot soup into your soup bowls.
- Dice the remaining tomatoes and cook with the greens in the remaining olive oil until the greens are wilted (approx. 2 minutes). Season with salt and pepper and spoon into the center of each bowl.
- Sprinkle with the croutons and lushes bacon and ENJOY!